When you think of white precious metals, most will think of platinum, white gold, and silver. But you’d be leaving out one of the most versatile and beautiful white metals – Palladium. Palladium is a less well known white precious metal that is quickly becoming a favorite of both jewelry designers and jewelry customers.
Palladium is a member of the platinum group of metals and is a naturally lustrous white metal. Why then is it so unknown? Up until recently, palladium, due to it’s chemical composition, has been an extremely difficult metal to cast. Jewelers shied away from it. But the rather recent development of 950 Palladium, an alloy of 95% palladium and 5% ruthenium, has made the metal easier to work with, and designers are flocking to this exciting metal.
Why the excitement? Well, Palladium offers a lengthy list of attractive attributes:
- Purity: Like platinum, palladium used in jewelry is 95% pure.
- Color: It’s naturally white and will not fade. It’s color is often described as steel white.
- Lightweight: It’s 40% lighter than platinum.
- Durable: It’s 12% harder than platinum, making it a great metal choice for every-day jewelry such as wedding rings.
- Hypoallergenic: Like platinum, palladium is non-allergenic, significantly reducing the chance of skin sensitivity
- Affordable: All of this comes at a significantly lower price than platinum. Palladium is usually priced slightly higher than 14k gold.
The result is a luxury precious metal of high purity in beautiful steel white at a non-luxury price. No wonder jewelry designers love this metal. We sure do.
Sorella offers almost every piece in our collection in palladium and have created a large number of pieces of palladium jewelry. We have extensive experience casting and finishing palladium. We love introducing our customers to this wonderful metal.
To learn more about palladium read our article on the History and Characteristics of Palladium or call or email us to discuss your very own palladium piece.Posted by Sorella